Hoosier Canoe Club Pool Session TrainingThe Hoosier Canoe Club sponsors year-round, weekly pool sessions on Wednesday evenings at Thatcher Recreation Center in Indianapolis from 7:00 to 9:00 PM. The pool sessions are focused on skill refinement and individual practice for all paddlers - whitewater kayakers, open and decked canoeists, recreational and sea kayakers - seeking to practice paddle strokes, bracing, Eskimo roll, deep water re-entry, etc. Garage-style doors make it easy to get longer sea kayaks and open canoes into the pool area.
The pool is also popular with freestyle playboaters who want to learn flatwater moves such as cartwheels, squirts and stalls. It is a great place to meet other paddlers, find out about upcoming trips and try out different boats and paddles. Participants often go out for refreshments afterwards to swap paddling stories and watch videos.
There are no formal classes at these pool sessions, but novice paddlers will find instructors happy to volunteer their time and the use of their boats to teach rolling and basic paddle technique. Please call in advance if you are new to paddling and desire coaching.
Guests are welcomed to these sessions, but the expectation is that if you wish to use this HCC resource regularly you should become a HCC member. Pool sessions are canceled in the event of lightning storms or if inclement weather closes the Recreation Center. If fewer than eight paddlers show up, the pool session is limited to one hour ending at 8:00 PM. Please make certain your boat is clean and free of debris inside and out before bringing it into the pool.
For more information about the Wednesday pool sessions email Jordan Ross or call him at 317-460-7000. Pool information updates can be found on the HCC Bulletin Board. Also, review the HCC Pool Policy below.
HCC POOL POLICY
- Participation is restricted to HCC members and their one-time guests.
- Participants must sign in each session and pay: $10.00
- First time participants must check-in with the pool coordinator before entering the pool.
- Participants must be able to swim.
- Participants must have the ability to self-rescue (wet exit at a minimum). First time vistors must demonstrate.
- Participants must maintain control of their boats and equipment at all times.
- Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- There will be no swimming or diving.
- Participants are expected to be courteous and safety conscious at all times.
- No one is allowed on the pool deck before 7:00 PM. All boats and gear must be removed from the pool deck promptly at 9:00 PM - Indy Park RULES.
The pool sessions are held at:
Thatcher Recreation Center
4649 W. Vermont St.
Indianapolis, IN 46222 view a map or link to a map on MapQuest